Monday, April 7, 2014

Meteora - the mountains with the Monasteries

First of all, it is difficult to describe just how amazing the landscape is throughout the countryside. And then to think that some monks in the 15th century thought it would be a good idea to build a Monastery 1,800 feet in the air on top of a rock with sheer sides, beyond me. They were seeking some serious alone time. 
At one point, 10,000 people all thought it would be a good idea, at the same time. 
And while I may think it is a little crazy, it does make me a bit sad that only 150 people are now living within the 7 or so monasteries and nunneries. 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Love getting to see a taste of what you are seeing and experiencing! I am so thankful you have this opportunity to experience this together. Good to see your smiles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meteora is incredible. Juraj almost walked off a cliff there trying to get a picture of me. :)

    ReplyDelete